The Political Economy of Oil in Sudan
Module Research Resources:
Resource created by the Understanding Sudan project.
- China and Sudan Factsheet 2007 Examines oil and other links between China and Sudan. Created in mid-2007.
- Oil in Sudan Fact Sheet 2003 Created by the Center for African Studies for a 2003 workshop on Human Rights and Oil.
- Oil in Sudan Fact Sheet 2006 Created in September 2006
- Links on Sudan with a focus on oil and human rights Prepared for a conference, Human Rights and Oil in Southeast Asia and Africa, 31 January 2003 at the University of California, Berkeley
- China Invests Heavily In Sudan's Oil Industry. By Peter S. Goodman, Washington Post Foreign Service, Thursday, December 23, 2004
- China, Africa, and Oil. Esther Pan, for the Council on Foreign Relations, January 26, 2007
- Google Timeline Result for "Sudan Petroleum". Produces a chronology based on news stories. Possible to drill down to years and months. For a different cut at the data, search on the terms "Sudan Oil".
- GOS Revenue, Oil and the Cost of the War. By Prof. Endre Stiansen, University of Oslo. Presented at the BICC/ECOS Conference "Money Makes the War go Round? The EU and transforming the economy of war in Sudan" Brussels, 12-13 June 2002
- Legal Remedies for the Resource Curse. The Justice Initiative of Open Society produced this report assessing the availability of legal remedies for addressing corrupt practices in the natural resource industries.
- Old habits die hard: Oil companies still oppress southern Sudanese after the return of peace Pambazuka feature on Oil in Sudan by Leben Nelson Moro, 1 August 2007.
- Post Referendum Arrangements for Sudanís Oil Industry: How to Separate Siamese Twins From The European Coalition on Oil in Sudan, 28 February 2011.
- Rejuvenating or Restraining Civil War: The Role of External Actors in the War Economies of Sudan. Bonn International Center for Conversion, by Scott Lewis, 2004 paper 37
- Report of an Investigation into Oil Development, Conflict and Displacement in Western Upper Nile, Sudan October 2001, Commissioned by: Canadian Auto Workers, Union Steelworkers, Humanity Fund, The Simons Foundatio,n United Church of Canada, Division of World Outreach, World Vision Canada
- US Energy Information Agency, Sudan Page
- God, Oil and Country: Changing the Logic of War in Sudan Africa Report N°39, 28 January 2002 by The International Crisis Group (ICG)
- Sudan: Oil and Gas - Overview Mbendi Information Services
- Sudan: The Human Price of Oil. Amnesty International, 3 May 2000.
- The scorched earth: oil and war in Sudan. A report published by Christian Aid, 2001
Books for Teaching
International and Area Studies ~ University of California, Berkeley ~ copyright 2009-2011